It is not a mystery that Belizeans are excellent cooks – both male and females. Even though I am a male, I can cook from well prepared pastas to the most iconic Belizean dish – the Rice and Beans. Talk about being multi-talented!
I am obsessed with the kitchen in so many ways that I always keep it stacked with a variety of ingredients. And when I am ready, I cook something for both my wife and I; who needs restaurants anyway. Don’t even ask how she thanks me later– kisses here, kisses there. O’ how I love cooking!
But what makes us excellent chefs? It could be that we have inherited these abilities from our ancestors. What do you think? I don’t even know my ancestors so how can I jump to that conclusion. How about you?
SEE ALSO: Top 10 Belizean Food [INFOGRAPHIC]I studied this carefully and came up with my own little conclusion; what makes us extra-ordinary cooks has nothing to do with us, but a lot with the ingredients we use.
I went to take a look at my kitchen and compared it with my mother’s, and boy was I surprised. I found out that she was using the same ingredients that my wife and I were using. I observed other people’s kitchens and I noticed the same ingredients.
It is safe to say that most Belizean cooks use the same ingredients to prepare their food. So we have gathered here a list of the most common ingredients found in Belizean Food.
1. Corn – Arguably the most popular ingredient in Central America. Corn is used in most of the food we prepare here in Belize, making it one of the most common ingredients found in Belizean food. Corn is used to make tamales, tacos, salbutes, panades, corn tortillas, garnaches and so much more.
2. Beans – If you are a Belizean you definitely eat beans at least three time for the week. Therefore beans deservedly fall in this list. Beans is mainly used to prepare beans soup here in Belize.
3. Rice – A magical mixture of rice and beans makes one of Belize’s favorite dishes -- the rice and beans.
4. Coconut Oil – A perfect rice and beans must be complimented by some coconut oil. Oil is also used to prepare other Belizeans traditional dishes.
5. Onion – While onion is not the nicest ingredient in this list, I had to include it because we use it in almost every dish we prepare here in Belize. Basically, onion is like oxygen for our food, if it doesn't have onion it is not perfect.
6. Sweet Peppers – This ingredient is used in soups, fast foods, sauces and in many other Belizean foods, so rightfully it made it in this list of the most common ingredients found in Belizean food.
7. Tomatoes – Tomatoes is the brother of sweet peppers. Wherever you see one you will see the other. This ingredient is used to prepare excellent sauces and nice vegetable salads.
8. Season All – This ingredient is what gives everything you cook the taste that it has. The use of the entire family of season all has become a tradition in the preparation of food here in Belize.
9. Flour – While flour is the least used in this list, it is still one of the most common ingredients used here in Belize. It is used to make the famous tortillas.
10. Salt and Pepper – Salt and pepper is used to add the final touch to a well prepared meal. Some Belizeans love their pepper along with their meals.
Image courtesy of Flickr, Oatsandsugar